SuperFunHappyChick

I'm an intense, hyperactive woman with an imagination in overdrive who loves her Husby, her two Wonder Wieners, and her emerging career as an author and photographer.

Tuesday, May 23

Validation through Currency

When the universe at large rewards us for doing something we love and excel at, it's a special moment indeeed. Congratulations go out to my friend Janeen, getting paid to blog at Club Mom. HOORAY JANEEN!

I refuse to give up the fight, so I take out the refuse. I am trying to make a legitimate living as an artist and as a storyteller, with the freedom to tell my own stories and be my own boss. Instead of tucking my tail between my legs and crawling back to a high-paying B2B, high-tech marketing copywriting gig (where I would be forced to write things like "The synergy of our newly updated interface combined with our industry exclusive relational-database driven backend, allows your business to e-tize its customer relations, therefore being more productive and earning more money for your bottom line."), I took a part-time job at the lowest level of employment at a grocery store. I bag groceries, sweep isles, and take out the fucking garbage. I have to keep reminding myself that I recently and actively chose to do this, especially when it feels so damn menial. My resolve has already been tested, when asked if I was interested in becoming a Senior Editor at a Seattle Met. I said, "No, thank you," knowing that the job meant working 50-60 hours for someone else, even though it would be doing something I enjoy and believe in. Everyday, I want. I have the wants bad. A new sofa, a new bed. A house. An electric bicycle. A new computer. Travel to tropical isles, not paid for by someone else, where I can be on my own schedule, and snorkel everyday. Extravagant gifts to family and friends. Diamond earrings. I want diamond earrings. I've either got to get rid of the wants or get the means to fulfill them, or some combintation of both. Right now, I want hundreds of dollars of colorful flowers to landscape a yard that isn't mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home